Friday, November 28, 2008

Is it really whole grain?


This is my wheat grinder. My husband gave it to me nearly 10 years ago for my birthday. He probably wondered at the time if it was really wise to spend almost $200 on this gadget and how often would it really get used. I don't think that he has been disappointed. I have used this several times a week to make whole grain items. One of my pet peeves is that many "wheat breads" are not really whole wheat. Manufactures often times throw a little whole grain in an item to call it whole grain, but the item is really mostly processed white flour. I like to experiment to make baked goods without using white flour. I have made chocolate muffins with barley and spelt flour. I have ground white beans and used the flour in applesauce oatmeal cookies. Fresh cornmeal and hard white wheat flour make a delicious cornbread. A favorite of mine is chocolate chip cookies with oats and spelt flour.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I LOVE using fresh ground whole wheat. It feels so healthy and natural. I'm just starting to learn all the possibilities of things I can make with it.