Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Whenever we go to Zupa’s my husband usually orders the Tomato Basil Soup, and when he doesn’t, he is usually disappointed in his selection. I have tried making a homemade creamy tomato soup in the past without much success. This year I tried a new recipe, and my husband gave me a thumbs up! Not only did I use homegrown tomatoes, but the basil was also from my garden.

This recipe is not for those on a fat free diet, but I think it is worth every fat gram!

Rich and Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

4 tomatoes - peeled and diced
4 cups tomato juice
14 fresh basil leaves
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
salt and pepper to taste

Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the pot. Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the cream and butter. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: