Monday, October 25, 2010

A Good Day for a Chili Cook-off

In my part of the world, I woke up to snow. A nice bowl of chili is great for dinner on a blustery day like today. Most people combine big chunks of ground chuck and some kidney beans to make chili. That would all be good if today hadn’t been declared Meatless Monday by Paul McCartney. I have a chili recipe that would make Paul sing. I am not even sure where I got this recipe. I am not very environmentally friendly when it comes to recipes. If I see one I like, I print it off. I have a rather large stack of recipes to be tested. At least when I try one if I don’t like it I will recycle the paper. No recycling bin for this recipe. It is a keeper.

Healthy Black Bean Chili

          2 tablespoons olive oil
          1 large yellow onion, chopped
          1 large bell pepper, chopped ( the recipe called for a yellow pepper, I had a red one and used it)
          5 cloves garlic, minced
          2 teaspoons chili powder
          1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
          1 teaspoon dried oregano
          1/2 teaspoon salt
          1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
          4 cups cooked black beans
          2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
          2 cups mild salsa
          2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
          2 cups cooked wheat berries
          Juice of one lime
         
Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and spices. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, salsa, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in cooked wheat berries and heat through.
Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice. Garnish with your choice of sour cream, avocado, cilantro, and tortilla chips.


No comments: