Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Martha Stewart Meatless Monday

I love a corndog on occasion, and yet the thought of eating deep fried animal parts usually stops me from enjoying one. I used to be able to buy veggie corndogs in the freezer section but haven’t seen them lately. I began thinking about making my own and wondered if I could bake them instead of frying. Well, I googled baked corndogs and guess who had a recipe. That’s right – Martha Stewart. I decided to attempt the recipe with a change from all-purpose flour to whole grain flour. Now I wonder how Martha Stewart feels about one of her recipes being altered. I have never met her and I am not a faithful follower, but I can hear her in an ever so slightly condescending tone say, “Why change perfection.” That would not be a question but a statement. I am sure she is not pleased, but I changed it any way. She suggested 4 smoked chicken sausages, but I used 8 veggie dogs. These are a little time consuming when you consider most corndogs only require you to preheat your oven. I would definitely make them again, and they were a hit with my family. I also tried her speedy “baked” beans with no alterations. My husband and son loved them. The molasses taste was a little strong for my liking.


Baked Corn Dogs
 
1 1/6 cup hard white wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
8 veggie dogs
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Make a well in the center; add milk, eggs, and oil. Mix just until combined.
Insert a stick into one end of each veggie dog. Dust with flour; tap off excess. Using handle, rotate each veggie dog over bowl as you spoon batter to coat evenly. Place on sheet; bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Using spatula, reapply batter that has slipped onto sheet. Return to even; bake until golden, 20 minutes. Serve with ketchup and mustard.
 
The recipe said prep time was 10 minutes. Maybe that is enough time for a true Martha Stewart fan, but it was more like 25 minutes for me.

1 comment:

Taara said...

This recipe for Baked Veggie Corn Dogs looks so tasty and family friendly. As a vegetarian I am always looking for new ways to transform traditional meaty recipes into meat-less ones!

Did you know that cutting out meat once a week (15%) could
really impact your health and the health of the environment? Raising
livestock actually does contribute to global warning. I work for Meatless Monday
(www.meatlessmonday.com),an non-profit Public Health organization.
Meatless Monday is a great campaign, providing recipes and information on reducing the
amount of meat in your diet.
Would you be interested in writing a weekly Meatless Monday post, either sharing meatless recipes and benefits of going meatless for yourself and the earth?
In addition, we love to feature blogger recipes on our website, so if you are interested in either of these, let me know!

Sara
meatlessmondayblogs@gmail.com