Monday, February 14, 2011

It’s complicated


Money, a box of chocolates, and a home-cooked meal have all been given as the definition of love by men. Women describe it as romance, affection, and “never having to say you’re sorry”. Children spell it t-i-m-e. Love certainly can be complicated. And if you look up its meaning on dictionary.com, you just might think so. It lists 28 different definitions.

I have heard that love is finding someone who completes your puzzle. I love a challenging jigsaw puzzle. Call me selfish, but if I create the border and separate all the pieces by color and shape, I want to be the one who puts that last piece in. One would not feel love from me with the completion of my puzzle.

One web sight lists its top meaning as “someone you’d give your life for”.

Mother Teresa has been quoted as saying “Love is a fruit in season at all times, and within reach of every hand.”

And speaking of fruit, something I love is the Nuts about Berries Salad at Zuppa’s. Now I say that I love this salad, but if given the choice between my life and the salad, I would choose life. I have come up with a homemade version when feeling the cravings and the best part is that it’s not complicated.

Start with some chopped romaine lettuce, add some Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette Dressing and mix to cover lettuce, and add berries of your choice. And then top with chopped candied almonds. It just might be better than a box of chocolates.

Candied Almonds

1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 lb almonds

Bring water, sugar and cinnamon to a boil; stirring constantly. Add almonds and toss to coat. Arrange almonds on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Store in an airtight container once cooled.

No comments: