Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Grilling is not just for meat lovers

For many years, I have wanted to buy a barbeque, but my husband has been against the idea. I have many fond memories of my dad cooking ribs, hamburgers, chicken, and even a Thanksgiving Day turkey on his grill. The problem with my husband and barbeques is that most of what is cooked on the grill is meat, and my husband is not a big fan of meat. One of my arguments in favor of a grill is that I promised that we wouldn’t eat more meat just because we had a grill. My sweet children pulled their resources last year and surprised me with a barbeque for Christmas. In keeping with my “no more meat commitment”, I purchased The New Vegetarian Grill cookbook, and we have tried some fun recipes from it on the grill. Last Sunday, we had Maple-Grilled Pound Cake with Peaches.


Maple-Grilled Pound Cake with Peaches

8 firm, ripe peaches, skins removed, and halved
1/4 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
One 8-inch loaf pound cake

1. Prepare a medium fire in the grill.
2. Combine the orange juice, butter, and maple syrup and mix well. Brush onto the peaches and both sides of the cake slices. Grill the peaches and cake slices until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side for the peaches and about 3 minutes per side for the cake.
3. Place a slice of cake and 2 peach halves on each plate. Drizzle additional maple syrup over the cake and peaches, if desired.

Vanilla Pound Cake

2 1/2 cups soft white wheat flour
1 cup barley flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pans.

Whisk together the flours and salt in a medium bowl. Cream together the butter, sugars and baking powder in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. On low, add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream. Stir in the vanilla and almond extract. Place batter in prepared pans and bake for 55 minutes.

1 comment:

cathy said...

That is awesome about the grill, and let me just say you are one of the few families I know that actually adhere to the "very little meat" part of the Word of Wisdom. And you found a pound cake recipe that is whole grain? That's pretty cool.