Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Produce Surprise

Several months ago, a friend told me about bountifulbaskets.org. It is a produce co-op run primarily by volunteers. For fifteen dollars, you get about 12 different kinds of vegetables and fruits. The baskets need to be ordered on Monday evening and picked up Saturday morning. The fun thing is that each week it is a surprise as to what interesting produce my family will get to eat. Sometimes it is something that I wouldn’t normally buy, and I get to find and try a new recipe. This week waiting for me was a cabbage. I have bought cabbages in the past, but I don’t buy them on a regular basis. I decided to make coleslaw. I tried a new recipe, and my family thought it was great.

Creamy Coleslaw

1 head green cabbage, chopped into small pieces ( I use the shredder attachment to my Bosche)
1 large carrot, peeled and finely shredded

Whisk together the following for the dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
dash garlic powder

Pour the dressing over the veggies, and mix well to combine. Store covered in refrigerator for several hours to blend flavors.


1 comment:

cathy said...

That's such a great idea re: the produce. I'm looking for a place to get fresh eggs (short of going to Jenettes).
Oh, and you're reading Hugh Nibley? He's awesome. That's one of my dad's favorite books.