Sunday, September 19, 2010

The True Test of a Good Dessert

Many times I will try a new dessert and my family will say that they like it, but then it sits on my counter uneaten. I believe that I am to assume that they were just being polite, and I don’t need to make that dessert again. Every summer I seem to be trying to find the perfect chocolate zucchini cake recipe that will taste good when I convert it to whole grain and quite possibly the search has finally ended. I wasn’t so sure if the cake I made this past week was really good until it was gone in just two days.


Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Cake

                          2 1/2 cups hard white wheat flour
                          1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
                          1 teaspoon soda
                          1 teaspoon baking powder
                          1/2 teaspoon salt
                          1 cup brown sugar
                          1/2 cup sugar
                          1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
                          1/2 cup buttermilk
                          3 large eggs
                          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                          2 cups shredded zucchini
                          1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan or bundt pan. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugars and butter until smooth. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla; mix well. Add half the dry ingredients, stirring until evenly moistened. Stir in the zucchini and then the remaining flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. For bundt cake, allow to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing cake from pan. Cool completely and drizzle with chocolate glaze.

Chocolate Glaze

1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup chocolate chips
2 teaspoons corn syrup

Heat the heavy cream to a simmer, and pour over the chocolate chips in a bowl. Stir in corn syrup, and keep stirring until there are no more lumps and the mixture is smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake.

1 comment:

Ashlee, Justin, & Owen said...

I loved it! It was delicious! I like all your healthy desserts you make.