Monday, January 16, 2012

My guest chef

I can not take any credit for the following recipe except for the fact that I gave birth to the girl who prepared it. My daughter who had been opposed to cooking for many years decided it was time to prepare herself for the day she might need to feed herself and a cute family. She now cooks dinner every Wednesday, and now Wednesday is my favorite day of the week. When someone else decides the menu, you just might find yourself eating something that you never thought would be tasty. Adding fresh chopped avocado to a bowl of hot soup would have seemed odd to me, but my daughter thought it would be yummy, and she was right!


Veggie Tortilla Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 cans chopped green chile peppers
3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
1 can corn
2 cans black beans, rinsed
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed
2 avocados, diced
tortilla chips


1. Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat, stir in onion, red pepper, garlic, and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.

2. Add tomatoes, chile peppers and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.

3. Reduce heat to low. Add corn, black beans, and pinto beans. Stir and cook for 5-10 minutes.

4. Garnish each bowl with avocado and chips before serving.

5. Try to get another member of your family to cook tomorrow.  :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed every page on your blog, I think you are is creative, if you have a spare time look at me too at vegetarian recipes for meat eaters I am happy to share with you and hope to become your friends