Thursday, January 14, 2010

My body is screaming for something healthy!

I don’t know about any one else, but my body sure takes a beating during the holidays. My children and husband love to stay up late and sleep in. I always say I am definitely keeping my going to bed and early to rise routine this holiday season, but somehow they always seem to win, and I end up staying up late playing games and watching movies. Exercise seems to take a back seat to just about everything else during Christmas time. And then there are chocolates, homemade caramels, and treats galore sitting on my kitchen counter just begging me to eat them. By the time January 2nd arrives, my body is screaming for healthy food and a hard work-out.


One of my favorite healthy foods is homemade granola. After trying many different granola recipes, this one is my all time favorite.

CRUNCHY GRANOLA
1 ½ cups brown sugar
½ cup water
4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
8 cups rolled oats
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 cup almonds, coarsely chopped

Heat oven to 275 degrees.
Combine sugar and water.
Bring to a boil and cook until sugar is completely dissolved.
Stir in salt and vanilla.
In a large bowl combine oats, nuts and sugar mixture.
Mix thoroughly.
Spread on 2 cookie sheets and bake 45-60 minutes until golden brown.
When granola has completely cooled, add dried fruit if desired and store in airtight container.

No comments: