Thursday, December 9, 2010

What makes you tired?


Turkey and pumpkin are usually on the list of things people are tired of come December. I don’t think my family could ever get tired of pumpkin desserts. I am tired of the dishes that come with making desserts, but not the pumpkin itself. Along with scrubbing pots and pans, I have two things that have grown weary with me lately - The Kardashians and Jersey Shore. I don’t have cable and have never watched an episode of either of these reality shows, and yet I am sick of hearing about them. I am rather confused as to why these people are fascinating. I happily left the TV off this evening and made this scrumptious dessert, and my family was thrilled.


Pumpkin Bars

4 eggs
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 cp canola oil
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 cup hard white wheat flour
1 cup barley flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With an electric mixer, mix eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin until light and fluffly. Sift together dry ingredients and stir into the pumpkin mixture until combined. Spread the batter into a 10X15 inch jelly roll pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

3 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese. Stir in vanilla. Add sugar a little at a time, beating until mixture is smooth. Spread on cooled cake.

1 comment:

Ashlee, Justin, & Owen said...

My favorite! Thanks for making them mom! You are the best!