Monday, December 27, 2010

Thanks Paul! It’s just what I needed.

 

I am meated out! It is like Paul McCartney just knew I would need a meatless day after the long holiday weekend. I guess it is his gift to me. This weekend my family ate a prime rib roast that seemed questionably raw on Christmas Eve, several pounds of bacon, ham, and sausage for Christmas breakfast (see above photo of my goofy son), and then more ham and a roast for Christmas dinner. I am not sure how many animals were slaughtered for our celebration, but it was way too many for my taste. After spending many hours in the kitchen over the past month, I am not excited about cooking dinner, but I have the perfect solution. Veggie Quesadillas will be on the menu tonight. They are quick, easy, tasty, and most importantly meat free.


Veggie Quesadillas

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can green chiles
shredded colby/jack cheese
8 tortillas 

Mix beans, corn, and chiles. Place about 2 tablespoons of cheese on half of the tortilla, 1/3 cup bean mixture, and then more cheese. Fold tortilla over. Place on cookie sheet and cook under broiler until toasted and browned. About one minute. Flip and cook other side. Serve this with a yummy green salad for an easy and tasty meal.


Another Cranberry Salad
 
1 head romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
1 cup dried cranberries
1 6 oz can mandarin oranges
1/4 cup sliced almonds
 
Dressing
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried onion
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
 
In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, cranberries and oranges. In a blender combine first six dressing ingredients and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil. Add sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with almonds.

No comments: