Monday, December 6, 2010

What’s for dinner?

I hate that question! You would think that since I have been cooking for my family for over 25 years that I would let that one just roll off my back. The problem is that even when I have an answer there will always be a critic. And when I don’t have an answer, and I fire back, “What would you like?” I usually don’t like the response. I don’t even know what I would like them to ask instead. I guess I just want them to stand happily by the oven and see what comes out at 6:00PM, and eat without any complaints. Well, I guess if I was really going to get a miracle at my house, I wouldn’t waste it on that silly idea, so I guess we will stick to our same old routine. Child asks. Mother gets irritated. Child learns not to ask for a few days. Mother makes a plan. In case I don’t have a plan, I like to have a few meals that work with things mostly from my food storage. And being since it is Monday, no meat is required!



                      Southwest Vegetarian Bake

               1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
               1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
               1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
               1 (4 ounce) can green chiles
               1 pint salsa
               1 cup sour cream
               2 cups cheese, divided, preferably colby/jack but cheddar will work
               1/4 teaspoon pepper
               1/2 cup chopped onions, red, green, or yellow will work
               1 small can olives, sliced and drained

In a large bowl, combine rice, beans, corn, chiles, salsa, sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, and pepper. Transfer to a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with onions and olives over top. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Serve with chips and salsa or guacamole. This is seriously good and easy. I usually don't have any whiners when I serve this!

No comments: