Sunday, December 14, 2008

Better than Bisquick Coffee Cake!


Growing up, I loved it when my mom made a Bisquick coffee cake. I loved the cinnamon smell as it baked. It was the best breakfast ever. Now that I am a mom and want my children to eat healthy, Bisquick is not in my cupboard. It is just processed enriched white flour and probably a lot of necessary preservatives to give it a long shelf life. I was given this recipe by a friend, and it called for white flour and shortening. I have changed it through the years to make it healthy. It is a Sunday morning tradition to make this in our home for breakfast. Yummy!
Breakfast Cake
3 cups hard white wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
Sift together dry ingredients. Cut in butter. Combine eggs & milk. Add it to flour mixture and stir til dampened. Spread in a greased 9X13 pan. Mix topping and place on top of cake.
Topping
1/2 cup hard white wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
6 T butter
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments: