Friday, December 5, 2008

Cornbread and honey butter


The first time someone told me that I could put popcorn in my wheat grinder and make fresh cornmeal, I was afraid to try it because I thought I would break my wheat grinder. I love cornbread, and so eventually I decided to see if the experts were right. I am happy to report that I have ground fresh cornmeal for many years. Cornbread with freshly ground cornmeal tastes so much better than store bought. I have tweeked the following recipe to include freshly ground hard white wheat flour. I think this bread is delicious served warm with honey butter.

Cornbread

1 1/2 cups hard white wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
Combine dry ingredients.
Combine wet ingredients and then stir together.
Place in a greased 8x8 pan.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

No comments: