Saturday, January 8, 2011

Common Sense and the Greek Gods


Nightline reported this week that the diet industry is a $60 billion business and sadly only about five percent of the dieters are actually successful. I will share the secret to weight loss, and it won’t cost you one penny. Simply eat less and move more. Well, I guess the confusion comes in with what to eat.

I remember in the early 1990’s the low-fat diet was all the craze. People would forgo eating almonds, avocados, fish, and peanut butter because they were high in fat and instead eat a fat-free hostess cupcake and a Tab for lunch.

Then came the Atkins Diet. Meat and cheese. More meat and cheese. And then some cheese and meat. How could an apple or carrot be the hindrance to weight loss?

Then because some people had initial success with the Atkins Diet, low-carb became the in thing. Bread was shunned. People forgot that brown rice and whole grains are your friends not a Coke Zero.

The two popular trends today are forgoing all sugars and the vegan diet. I agree that we eat way too much sugar and animal products, but giving up one item and replacing it with an unhealthier choice defeats the purpose of a diet. Those who give up sugar will eat fries and a hamburger, while the vegans would abstain from the burger but could enjoy the fries, and a package of skittles, and a Mountain Dew. Both would have been better off with a slice of pumpkin pie. I think we have lost common sense in our diet choices.

I guess my advice would be move more, eat less sugar, processed foods, meat, and dairy and eat more whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables.


And what does the Greek Gods have to do with this post you may ask. When choosing to eat dairy make a healthier choice. I like yogurt, and I used to think all yogurts were created equal, but I recently tried the Greek Gods brand, and realized they are not. Yoplait is a treat. Greek Gods with fresh fruit and granola is a breakfast.

No comments: