Friday, January 14, 2011

My apologies to Al Gore


Have you bought a new energy efficient appliance recently and wondered if it is actually costing you more money and using more energy? That is how I feel about my new washing machine. I no longer need to select a load size because it has a censor that determines the amount of water required, but if you open the lid after it begins filling, it will automatically add more water. It also is not very efficient in spinning out all the water it adds. I usually have to run the spin cycle again, or it would take all day to dry my clothes. I appreciate the manufactures attempt to green my machine, but energy efficient it is not. I made another purchase that is definitely green friendly. During the winter months, I am addicted to herbal tea. I used to just boil water in a saucepan, but this year I found this quaint little teapot on clearance. It sits so very cutely on my stove. I put my teapot to the test. To be fair, I put the same amount of water in my teapot and saucepan and placed both burners on high. At 2 minutes and 58 seconds, my tea kettle was whistling at me. It took the water in my not so esthetically pleasing saucepan an additional 2 minutes and 29 seconds to boil, and it doesn’t even ever whistle. So my friend Al, I guess it all evens out. The extra energy used by my washing machine is now saved by my teapot.
And just in case Mr. Gore is a tea drinker himself, I would like to recommend an earth friendly tea. Celestial Seasonings tea bags are made minus the individual packaging, string, and tag. It is just a small amount of paper, but as Al will tell you, it all adds up. And Al if you are having trouble sleeping alone try the Sleepytime Vanilla, it works like a charm.


And by the way, I have never thanked Mr. Gore for his invention of the internet. So thanks and happy surfing!


No comments: