Monday, January 10, 2011

Rachel Ray meet Mr. McCartney

I love Rachel Ray. So many women in the spotlight catch the “I have to be skinnier than Kelly Ripa” disease, and I am just glad she looks like a real woman and not your typical Hollywood stick figure. We need more of her type on TV. You can tell that she actually eats the food she cooks. I think that is always an important quality for a chef to possess. One of her recipes that I tried at home was her 30 minute Chicken Noodle Soup. If it wasn’t Meatless Monday, I could probably share the recipe. Rachel adds parsnips and dill to the traditional recipe. Another recipe that looked delicious was a soup with chorizo, collard greens, and potatoes. My husband, however, does NOT eat pig. One day I picked up some veggie sausages at the store, and they worked great in the recipe. I am not sure that Rachel’s husband would approve because I get the impression he actually likes his meat from an animal and not a plant, but my husband loved the soup.


 Peasant-Style Potato and Collard Green Soup

4 Italian "sausages", browned and sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
8 cups vegetable stock
8 potatoes, sliced
6 cloves garlic, peeled and root ends trimmed
1 bunch collard greens, washed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
salt and black pepper, to taste


In a heavy stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until softened. Add stock, potatoes, and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

With a slotted spoon transfer the potatoes and garlic to a bowl; lightly mash with a fork. Return to the soup and bring to a simmer. Stir in collard greens. Simmer 5 minutes, or until greens are tender. Stir in the sausages and season with salt and pepper.

No comments: